Winston Churchill served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom during World War II, from 1940 to 1945, and again from 1951 to 1955, and his legacy, as well as his famous phrases, are still remembered today.
While his political career as a wartime leader is what made him famous, he was also a social reformer and a well-known writer, which is why there are so many great Winston Churchill quotations that aren’t about politics.
These 101 Winston Churchill quotes are the top of the crop, ranging from political sayings to inspiring remarks about mankind to amusing, timeless comments that will make you think.
Top Winston Churchill Quotes
1. Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
2. Everyone has his day, and some days last longer than others. —Winston Churchill
3. To improve is to change, so to be perfect is to change often. —Winston Churchill
4. Personally I’m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught. —Winston Churchill
5. Vengeance is the most costly and dissipating of luxuries. —Winston Churchill
6. Harsh laws are at times better than no laws at all. —Winston Churchill
7. Never, never, never give up. —Winston Churchill
8. Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts. —Winston Churchill
9. It is not in our power to anticipate our destiny. —Winston Churchill
10. All the greatest things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom; justice; honor; duty; mercy; hope. —Winston Churchill
11. Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result. —Winston Churchill
12. My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best. —Winston Churchill
13. Time and money are largely interchangeable terms. —Winston Churchill
14. All wisdom is not new wisdom. —Winston Churchill
15. Every man should ask himself each day whether he is not too readily accepting negative solutions. —Winston Churchill
16. If you destroy a free market you create a black market. —Winston Churchill
17. The price of greatness is responsibility. —Winston Churchill
18. All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me. —Winston Churchill
19. “I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. —Winston Churchill
20. When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. —Winston Churchill
images credits: canva.com