"This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission. Thanks.”
This article will put some light on the best sign language courses in Dublin and online free & paid. We have curated some popular sign language courses/classes online and nearby.
Learning Sign Language is a fun way to communicate with friends and family, and it’s also becoming a more valuable skill in the job market. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, translation and interpretation jobs will grow by at least 20% by 2029.
Learning a foreign language has been demonstrated to improve brain function, creativity, and memory. Sign language improves spatial awareness, reaction quickness, and concentration ability because it is a visual language.
In addition to increased job prospects, learning sign language can increase communication opportunities. Being able to communicate with people using sign language skills is a valuable skill both personal and professional.
Here are the best sign language courses/classes in Dublin, Ireland:
- 1. Introduction To Irish Sign Language (ISL), Trinity College Dublin
- 2. ONLINE Irish Sign Language (ISL), Donahies Community School
- 3. Sign Language Classes Online and Offline (by irishdeaf.com)
- 4. Understanding Basic Sign Language (Short Online Course by Portobello Institute)
- 5. IRISH SIGN LANGUAGE by corkdeaf.ie
- What is Irish Sign Language (ISL)?
- Who uses ISL?
- Is ISL recognized in Ireland?
- How Long Does It Take To Learn Sign Language?
- Who Can Benefit From an Online Sign Language Class?
1. Introduction To Irish Sign Language (ISL), Trinity College Dublin
This ten-week course introduces the learners to ISL and delivers teaching to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). The aim is to bring students to A1 receptive skills and A1 productive skills to engage a basic conversation with Deaf people. This course also introduces some selected parts of Deaf culture.
|College Name||Trinity College Dublin|
|Course Category||Languages, Sign Language|
|Course Location||Dublin, Ireland|
|Awarding Body||Trinity College Dublin|
2. ONLINE Irish Sign Language (ISL), Donahies Community School
Why not learn Irish Sign Language, Ireland’s 3rd official language? This course is designed to enable you to communicate using Irish Sign Language and also to learn about the deaf community and deaf culture. These fun classes are taught by a deaf tutor who will use ISL throughout and you will learn and pick up ISL in a natural environment
(outline of course content available on our website www.donahiesadulted.ie)
Tutor: Kevin Mulqueen
Laptop/PC/Tablet, webcam, microphone, good wifi required.
ONLINE BOOKING AVAILABLE at www.donahiesadulted.ie
3. Sign Language Classes Online and Offline (by irishdeaf.com)
IrishDeaf.com is a specialist organisation that empowers the Deaf community through support and harmonises relationship with the wider society through information.
Irish Sign Language (ISL) Online Course for the beginners. These online courses offer you a flexible and accessible way of learning from the comfort of your own home.
Go to view all popular courses online and offline on this portal:
4. Understanding Basic Sign Language (Short Online Course by Portobello Institute)
Delivered through distance learning, this Certificate in Understanding Basic Sign Language explores basic strategies hearing people can use to communicate respectfully and effectively with deaf people.
What will I study during this Understanding Basic Sign Language course?
During this course you will study the following tops:
- Background to Sign Language in Ireland
- Communication Strategies and Body Positioning
- ISL Alphabet and Finger Spelling
- Basic Communication
- Interacting with a Deaf Person
- ISL in Practice
- FEE – €295.00
- START DATE : Start Anytime
- LOCATION(S) : Portobello Institute
- COURSE DURATION : 1 month
5. IRISH SIGN LANGUAGE by corkdeaf.ie
The Cork Deaf Association hold a variety of Sign Language classes at their centre in MacCurtain Street, Cork. Contact us for more information on:
- Accredited Sign Language Courses
- Introduction to Sign Language courses
We can also provide you with information for:
- one-to-one ISL tuition at the CDA centre or the venue of your choice
- ISL classes for your class, group, workplace or organisation
- Home Tutors
ISL Information Leaflets
- ISL Information for Students Leaflet
- ISL General Information on Fee Policies
- Information on ISL Courses in the Cork Deaf Association
What is Irish Sign Language (ISL)?
ISL is the indigenous language of Irish Deaf people and of the Deaf community. ISL has been passed down by many generations of Deaf people. It is a visual, spatial language with its own distinct grammar. Not only is it a language of the hands, but also of the face and body.
Who uses ISL?
There are approximately 5,000 Deaf people in Ireland whose first or preferred language is ISL. Approximately 40,000 other people, Deaf and Hearing, use ISL in addition to their first language.
Is ISL recognized in Ireland?
Yes. The Irish Sign Language Act 2017 recognizes Irish Sign Language as the official language of Ireland.
How Long Does It Take To Learn Sign Language?
Because everyone learns at a different rate, it’s possible that some people will take longer to learn sign language than others. It also depends on how much time you have to commit to learning sign language, as well as how quickly you take up and recall new concepts. Some sessions can be completed in as little as six weeks, while others are self-paced. You should have a greater knowledge of sign language by the end of the lesson, although you may not be totally fluent. In general, becoming fluent in sign language can take several years of consistent practice.
Who Can Benefit From an Online Sign Language Class?
If you, a friend, or a family member is suffering from hearing loss, online sign language training can help. It can also boost your productivity and communication skills while broadening your employment alternatives. If you’re a teacher, a tutor, or someone else who appreciates studying languages, you can also profit. Finally, if you wish to work as a translator or interpreter, an online sign class can help.
Read Also: FETCH Courses: What is FET? Types Fetch courses
Article submitted by Johanna
Hi, I am Naveen Kumar (Assistant Professor), managing the team of Skillshouter. At SkillShouter, we help you find the best tutorials, courses, and certifications online. Experts come together to handpick great courses for needy learners. We provide demanding high-quality, well-researched reviews, and comparisons for those looking to start online and campus courses.